Table of Contents
GOD desires repentance from us
- The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 NKJV
- The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 ESV
Pathway of Repentance
- Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4 ESV
- Or do you have no regard for the wealth of His kindness and tolerance and patience [in withholding His wrath]? Are you [actually] unaware or ignorant [of the fact] that God’s kindness leads you to repentance [that is, to change your inner self, your old way of thinking—seek His purpose for your life]? Romans 2:4 AMP
Repentance first step in Salvation
Components of Repentance
1. Initial Repentance
- “Repent [change your old way of thinking, turn from your sinful ways, accept and follow Jesus as the Messiah] and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ because of the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. Acts 2:38, 41 AMP/NIV
- He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy. Proverbs 28:13 NKJV
It is this initial repentance that makes one Born Again. See Acts 2:38-41 NKJV
2. Daily Repentance: seeking forgiveness & forsaking evil
- My little children (believers, dear ones), I am writing you these things so that you will not sin and violate God’s law. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate [who will intercede for us] with the Father: Jesus Christ the righteous [the upright, the just One, who conforms to the Father’s will in every way—purpose, thought, and action]. 1 John 2:1 AMP
- Jesus said to him, “Anyone who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, and is completely clean. And you [My disciples] are clean, but not all of you.” John 13:10 AMP
- When Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money. “Give me this power as well,” he said, “so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” But Peter replied, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in our ministry, because your heart is not right before God. *Repent, therefore, of your wickedness, and pray to the Lord. Perhaps He will forgive you for the intent of your heart. For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and captive to iniquity.” Acts 8:18-23 BSB
The same Simon who believed earlier (see below) is now asked to repent
- Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. Acts 8:13 NKJV
- Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.” Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. Luke 19:8,9 NIV
- Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. 2 Corinthians 7:10-11 NIV
4. Bear Fruit
- produce fruit that is consistent with repentance [demonstrating new behavior that proves a change of heart, and a conscious decision to turn away from sin] Matthew 3:8 AMP
- produce fruit that is worthy of [and consistent with your] repentance [that is, live changed lives, turn from sin and seek God and His righteousness]. Luke 3:8-14 AMP
People who repented
- David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” And Nathan said to David, “The LORD also has allowed your sin to pass [without further punishment]; you shall not die. 2 Samuel 12:13 AMP
- When word reached the king of Nineveh [of Jonah’s message from God], he rose from his throne, took off his robe, covered himself with sackcloth and sat in the dust [in repentance]. Jonah 3:6 AMP
- Now when the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, he tore his clothes. 2 Kings 22:11 AMP
Prayer of Repentance
I confess that I am a sinner.
Please forgive me of all my sins.
I believe that Jesus Christ is Your son.
I believe that He took all my sins upon Himself & that He died and rose again.
I receive Him into my life as my Lord and Saviour.
In Jesus name I pray.