Table of Contents
“Now there was a rich man,1 and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day. And a poor man named Lazarus2 was laid at his gate, covered with sores, and longing to be fed with the crumbs which were falling from the rich man’s table; besides, even the dogs were coming and licking his sores. Now the poor man died and was carried away by the angels to Abraham’s bosom; and the rich man also died and was buried. In Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and saw Abraham far away and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried out and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.’ But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, so that those who wish to come over from here to you will not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.’4 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, that you send him to my father’s house— for I have five brothers—in order that he may warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets3; let them hear them.’ But he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent!’ But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’” 5 Luke 16:19-31 NASB 1995
1Does not imply that rich go to Hell and poor go to heaven. Abraham and Job were very rich.
2Remarkable that the rich man is not named but the poor man is. Worthwhile noting that names of those heaven bound are recorded in Heaven. See Luke 10:20
3Moses & Prophets: Refers to existence of scripture. See below
- Then beginning with Moses and with all the Prophets, He explained to them the things written about Himself in all the Scriptures. Luke 24:27 NASB
- Holy Scriptures … are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 2 Tim 3:15 NKJV
4The finality of Hell. Watch 23 Minutes in Hell HERE
5No amount of miracles can save us – we are saved by/through the Word of God. Read about it HERE.
Components of Repentance
- “Repent [change your old way of thinking, turn from your sinful ways, accept and follow Jesus as the Messiah] and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ because of the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. Acts 2:38, 41 AMP/NIV
- Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done. Acts 8:13 NKJV
COMMENT: It is this initial repentance that makes one Born Again. See Acts 2:38-41 NKJV
Daily Repentance: seeking forgiveness & forsaking evil
- He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy. Pro 28:13 NKJV
- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9 NIV
When Simon saw that the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money. “Give me this power as well,” he said, “so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” But Peter replied, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in our ministry, because your heart is not right before God. *Repent, therefore, of your wickedness, and pray to the Lord. Perhaps He will forgive you for the intent of your heart. For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and captive to iniquity.” Acts 8:18-23 BSB
*The same Simon who believed earlier is now asked to repent.
- Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.” Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. Luke 19:8,9 NIV
- Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret. See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. 2 Cor 7:10-11 NIV
- produce fruit that is consistent with repentance [demonstrating new behavior that proves a change of heart, and a conscious decision to turn away from sin] Mt 3:8 AMP
- produce fruit that is worthy of [and consistent with your] repentance [that is, live changed lives, turn from sin and seek God and His righteousness]. Luke 3:8-14 AMP