Table of Contents
What is sin?
Sin is primarily against GOD
Am I a Sinner?
- all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God Rom 3:23 NIV
If we say we have no sin [refusing to admit that we are sinners], we delude ourselves and the truth is not in us. [His word does not live in our hearts.] ... If we say that we have not sinned [refusing to admit acts of sin], we make Him [out to be] a liar [by contradicting Him] and His word is not in us. 1 John 1:8, 10 AMP
Consequences of Sin
Separation from GOD
Sequence of Sin
- Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God” [for temptation does not originate from God, but from our own flaws]; for God cannot be tempted by [what is] evil, and He Himself tempts no one. But each one is tempted when he is dragged away, enticed and baited [to commit sin] by his own [worldly] desire (lust, passion). Then when the illicit desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin has run its course, it gives birth to death. James 1:13-15 AMP
Example: Adam & Eve
[only] from the tree of the knowledge (recognition) of good and evil you shall not eat, otherwise on the day that you eat from it, you shall most certainly 4die [because of your disobedience].” … Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made. He 1said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” But the serpent 1said to the woman, “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” So when the woman 2saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she 3took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate. Genesis 2:17 NASB Genesis 3:1-6 ESV
Sequence: 1Temptation + 2Worldly Desire >> 3Commit Sin >> 4Death
- For all that is in the world—the lust and sensual craving of the flesh and the lust and longing of the eyes and the boastful pride of life [pretentious confidence in one’s resources or in the stability of earthly things]—these do not come from the Father, but are from the world. 1 John 2:16 AMP
What can be done?
- If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just [true to His own nature and promises], and will forgive our sins and cleanse us continually from all unrighteousness [our wrongdoing, everything not in conformity with His will and purpose]. 1 John 1:9 AMP
- Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin. Psalms 32:5 NIV