The Bible says
“Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Acts 2:38a NIV
So the next step is to get baptized in water.
- Baptism follows believing. The Bible says: Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved Mark 16:16 NIV
- Baptism follows repenting. The Bible says: Repent and be baptized Acts 2:38 NIV
- As pledge of a clear conscience toward God. The Bible says: this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also–not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ 1 Peter 3:21 NIV
- All who repented/believed got baptised. Examples: Paul (Acts 9:18), Jailor and family (Acts 16:33), Cornelius, his relatives and close friends (Acts 10:48)
WHEN? As soon as possible after repenting of sins/accepting Christ as Lord and Saviour. See examples below
- Ethiopian enuch – as soon as he came across some water Acts 8:36
- Jailer and family – before giving the disciples any food Acts 16:33
- Paul – before eating any food (after fasting for 3 days) Acts 9:18
Any thing else after water baptism? Yes, receive the Holy Spirit
The same verse that says Repent and be baptised continues as follows: And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38b NIV
How do you receive the Holy Spirit?
- By asking God. The Bible says: If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” Luke 11:13 NIV
- By other believers (Christians) laying hands on you. The Bible says: When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them. Acts 19:6 NIV